Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ogre Mesh Exporter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. Have downloaded the new OgreExport plugin and it works great. Thanks Paul. For anyone who would like to view the Gallery that I created in Deled in the 3DBA Player, please download the Ogre exprorted files below.

http://www.freewebs.com/int3dworlds/Gallery.zip

NOTES FOR INSTALLATION:

After you have downloaded the zip file and saved it, unzip it to a folder of your choice on your hard drive. The Temp folder in C: is a good choice, but create a seperate folder to save the unzipped files. When you have done this, you should, within this folder, have a file called ogrehead.mesh with two folders named Material & Textures.

Follow these instructions to put them in to the Pellican Crossing folders.

First, in explorer, open the Pellican Crossing folder and 3D Build Animation Player folder. Click on the media folder then on the model folder. Find the file called ogrehead.mesh and rename it ogrehead2.mesh. This ensures that you do not overwrite the original file. Next, go back to your folder where you unzipped the gallery and locate the ogrehead.mesh file and select it. Click on Edit Menu and copy the file. Go back to 3D Build Animation Player/media/models/ and paste the ogrehead.mesh file.

Go back to your unzipped folder and open the Materials folder. Copy the material file and go to 3D Build Animation Player/media/materials/scripts/ and paste the file here.

Go back to the unzipped folder, click on the textures folder and select all texture files and copy them. Go now to 3D Build Animation Player/media/materials/textures/ and paste all textures to here.

Now click on Pellican Crossings Test folder and then click on the Basic folder. Double click the file named BuildAnimationPlayerFull. Internet explorer should now load revealing teh gallery.

Kind regards Brian
Yokom
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might be barking up the wrong tree as im not sure you can store light data in the mesh format in ogre I will ask over there also. But the focus of this modeler is to do 3d level design or at least that is what it excells at anyway. Im wondering a few things but in this topic of the exporter.

Does it not retain light objects in the exporter. I exported a mesh with two lights in the scene and they dont show up in the ogre engine. I suspect that you cant add a light in ogre with a mesh file but ill check that out.

Next Question is for both Delgine and the exporter will it support octree division at some time. I have been working on a pretty large space market mall looking scene and it has 17000 faces once loaded into ogre and it is weighing down the frame rate a bit. Its not really horrid yet but my frame rate on a 6600gt is down to 87 with just the basic mesh loaded. I may have to start messing with a custome octree system and thats going to suck with my limited working understanding of octree code.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yokom, to save you the trouble of looking this up: the .mesh file format doesn't support lights, nor does it support octree information. Which is kinda ok-ish, as lights nor octrees do not belong in mesh data, but the problem is the alternative (.scene format) is not fully integrated within ogre at the moment (like we discussed on IRC Smile). .Scene format does allow the storage of octrees, and probably lights too.

That said, I am kinda surprised at the low performance you got there, did you include lighting or any particular materials in that scene? Also, I thought ogre had an automatic convert-to-octree meshloader option, but apparently I was wrong there (maybe it was irrlicht... ogre would need the octreescenemanager for it anyway). Shouldn't be too hard to make though, octrees are about the most simply spatial subdivision scheme you can get.
Ground0

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

I hope i post it at the right Place Confused

I have DeleD Lite Installed and now i need the Ogre mesh exporter, it function nice but if i want open the file with my Programm it view bad... See:

In DeleD it view correct:

The other Mehses are complet.. but they with the exporter not, so i think it can be only the exporter...

i have testet it with all Parameters...

MFG Ground0
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this issue, there apparently is a bug in the triangulation routine used in the exporter! (the reason why no-one spotted this before is that we usually export lightmapped scenes, and those are already triangulated from within DeleD). I will fix this a.s.a.p., probably tomorrow. As far as a hot-fix for your problem: simply triangulate your scene (ctrl-a, triangulate, all polygons in selection, ok), the export should work fine after that. Very Happy
colt527

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am having a not so important problem, but if someone could help me out it would be great. Everything works fine (after I triangulated). But inside my scene the object refuses to cast shadows. I tried all 3 types of shadows under all of the different light types it just wont work (Yes, I set cast shadow to true). Is anyone having similar problems?
Ground0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thx

now it's ok so Smile

mfg Ground0
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colt527, could it be a material setting? I am no real ogre buff (sorry), maybe someone on the ogre3d forums knows what is going on?

I might try and figure it out if I can find the time, but (looking at my time-schedule of the next few days) you might want to try things yourself if you want a solution soon Wink
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this and you are right: the exported objects won't cast shadows. However: if I run them through the ogreXMLConverter and back again they work like a charm!

Apparently I am not exporthing something the shadowing algorithms need... and my first (educated) guess would be edge data. I'll see if I can fix this. Thanks for noticing! Very Happy

(funny how, with the Ogre engine, on my Geforce 6600vt in DirectX mode only texture shadows (shadowmaps) show up, while in OpenGL mode only stencil shadows seem to work correctly.)
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I did some additional research, and it turns out the amount of work needed to build the ogre-style edge list from within the exporter is significant. I will add this functionality at some point in the future, but not right now (there is a DeleD 1.2 release around the corner, I really need to spend some time working on that).

If you want your objects to cast shadows, either run them through the converter or simply call mesh.buildEdgeList() from within your code. Should work like a charm! Very Happy
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just uploaded a minor 1.02 update fixing the triangulation problem.
colt527

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloaded worked perfectly. Thanks for the fix! No more triangulation issues.
colt527

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made an interesting observation on one of the .mesh files i exported. Now in deled and by doing just math, my object should be consisted of 104 triangles, but for some reason in Ogre every time I add the object, it is ~600 triangles added to the triangle count. Does Ogre do some sort of subdivision by itself without telling you, or is there something else going on in the works. This isnt a big problem because my game is pretty simple so you dont have to worry about the problem, but I thought I'de just meantion it.

Thanks,
Colt527
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, as far as I know ogre doesn't do subdivision. Did you perhaps triangulate the object in DeleD, using centroid triangulation in stead of fan? Wouldn't account for 600 triangles, but might cause a little lot more triangles then you'd expect.

Can you reproduce this with a trivial object? (in other words, can I reproduce it with a trivial object?) And if not, any chance of sending me the .dmf?
colt527

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried both triangulation methods in deled and also let the exporter do the triangulation, but both to no avail. Yes, it can be recreated with a primative object. Lets say you make a cylinder with 5 sides and 1 segment. This should be only 18 triangles (10 for side faces and 4 for each end) but in Ogre the triangle count jumps about 70. I dont even know if thats including triangles backface culled away.

Thanks,
Colt527
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: