Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

.map exporter plugin
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tearak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink

mmmm. Something to look forward to.

Tearak
dirkk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually these are screenshots from the 'old' release, so you can do all this right now already!

As I said above in this thread here (and more elaborate here, I can send you the old versions for you to get a grip on it, until the new plugin is ready.

I especially like this screenshot, because it's fun to run around in a DeleD house with others in multiplayer mode in the Torque Demo.

[EDIT2] scroll sown to "Due to some questions..."
EdgarRice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Question about the as of yet unreleased updated plug in Reply with quote

Dirkk,
I just had some curiosities about this. In the updated plug in you are intending to release, is it going to be any easier to apply textures to the exported maps. I know that in the old version, the Delgine files assigned numbers to texture file names and referenced them that way. This resulted in (i believe) having to rename textures files to their associated numbers, so that they could be found by the map file...(if i am wrong on this, feel free to bash me thouroughly).

Also, did I read somewhere that portals are not supported in the old exporter? Is that something that is going to change?

Thanks, and great work!!!!

Robert
dirkk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the textures: you got that right.
The old version of DeleD used a way to index the texture files which the exporter uses to get a relation between them and the subsequent files in the Torque directory (but of course in DeleD texture files can be named in any OS compatible way). Since I knew that DeleD had a new material concept coming up this seemed sufficient to me.

So with the current version of the plugin you either
- rename your textures according to this index (look into the *.dtp files with notepad - there you can see what the index number of each texture is)
or
- rename the textures in the map file after exporting which is quite easy to do.

Again, you are right, if you have your complete own texture library then for the current version it's best to name them after the index in the .dtp file. Actually I found this very easy because I don't like the 'ROCK014' and 'T4' notation anyway, but that's just me.

The new plugin will most likely work with an easy to edit text file that has a mapping of the DeleD textures to the Torque textures.

Regarding the portals, they will be treated like the lights. If a box is named 'portal*', then it will be converted into a portal in the .map file.
EdgarRice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: Thanks, Dirkk Reply with quote

Dirkk,
Thanks a lot for the quick and thourough response. Now I am even more excited about your next release.

Robert
Tearak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question

Any tentative date you have in mind?

Tearak
dirkk

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This month.
Tearak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Razz Razz Razz Razz
EdgarRice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll see your Razz Razz Razz Razz , and raise you Razz Razz Razz Razz !!!
Joy!
EdgarRice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Question of approximate scale Reply with quote

I was just wondering if anyone had an idea as to the approximate scale from a model made in Deled in relation to the resulting dts in Torque. In other words, if I make a building, and I know that it needs to be "10 feet tall" in relation to the standard Torque character model of approximately 6 feet tall, how "tall" do I make the building model in the units used in Deled?
dirkk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should check on this, but: I think 128 DeleD units seems to be about one height of a TGE guy. So if Kork is 6 feet tall (something like - 2 meters?), you have the scale.
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should be easy to find out if you actually _have_ a Torque SDK (which I don't): figure out how many API (OpenGL) units the character is (if there is no statistics anywhere, render it to a 1:1 orthogonal projection or something). DeleD simply uses OpenGL 'units' (treats every integer number as a 'unit' - notice the quotes, as the OpenGL docs clearly state that you are free to interpret the numers at any scale you prefer). Most engines use smaller units, I usually end up scaling things down a quite bit when loading DeleD models.

Side note: Remember that you can't scale models in DeleD to infinitesemal small sizes: DeleD doesn't store sub-integer fractions so you'll loose precision when you do.
EdgarRice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the information, fellas Reply with quote

Dirkk, that would be easy enough to test, which is something I shall do when I get home tonight. At least I have a place to start. Thanks!

I brought this up because I followed a link someone had posted at Garage Games which went to a site where several hundred floor plans were laid out. I was getting used to Deled by trying to use a floor plan to make a house for use in Torque. I guess I scaled the floorplan too large because when I brought it into TGE, it dwarfed the player. That is when I realized I forgot to consider scale.

That being said, having worked somewhat more with Deled, I am even more excited about the next version of your Torque map exporter plugin. This is a great little program!
dirkk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would expect (but didn't check it) that the simple house tutorial should fit right into Torque - or is even too small Smile.
dizzywalnut

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
I've found this software very cool ! Easy to use with a serious result. Cool

I would to know if the .MAP file is working only with TORQUE engine or there will be also possibity to compile into .BSP (for Half life) under ZHLT.

thank You Wink
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> DeleD Plugins All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: