Delgine 3D Tools & Content DeleD Community Edition
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Upgraded face editing (in DeleD 1.34)

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> News / Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Upgraded face editing (in DeleD 1.34) Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

While Jeroen is working very hard on the new internal structure of DeleD, I am trying to put together the new 1.34 version, to be released in November. One of the things I am working on is improving the basic face editing functionality, so far here is what I got done:

Remember how scaling the u, v coordinates of multiple faces made the continuous texture pattern break up? Not any longer.

Proper rotation of texture coordinates, either through dragging in the 2d views or the command properties dialog, has been implemented. On the screenshot below, you can see a 45 degrees rotated wall texture mapped on the DeleD text primitive.

Last but not least, the command properties dialog for face u, v scaling has been implemented. Finally, you can do a precise job on scaling those u, v coordinates!

Technical blab (feel free to skip Wink): I am now working on improving the planar mapping algorithm. The current algorithm generates bigger coordinates for vertices that are further away from the absolute center of the scene. This is making manual rotation and scaling (dragging in the 2D views) a bit of a pain whenever the edited object is far from the center. DeleD 1.33 solved this issue by scaling around the center of the polygon, but this used to cause discontinuities in the textures. By rewriting the planar mapping to always generate wrapping coordinates around 0,0 , I hope to keep everything nice and convenient.
trucker2000
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I've been waiting for. Smile
asus
8 gigs ram
Invidia gtx560 video card
Windows 8 (worst op sys Ever)
hpesoj
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh ooh ooh, can you make sure to add an option in the options window to have universal scaling of UV coords. So if we have built our levels slightly too big or too small, we can adjust the uv coords while still using the auto-uv option.
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Upgraded face editing (in DeleD 1.34) Reply with quote

Paul-Jan wrote:

But what does the texturing look like on the top faces? THat's always been messed up. Or are they aligned and in the proper direction now?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hpesoj: I knew you were going to ask for that! Yes, I am adding an optional setting for that to the interface as well Very Happy

Vampyre: Define "messed up"? They will not perfectly align where faces meet that are mapped on different planes (i.e. where slightly more horizontal meets slightly more vertical). Planar mapping does that, getting that 'fixed' (texture unwrapping functionality) is not exactly what this announcement is about Wink
Daaark
DeleD PRO user

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul-Jan wrote:
Vampyre: Define "messed up"? They will not perfectly align where faces meet that are mapped on different planes (i.e. where slightly more horizontal meets slightly more vertical). Planar mapping does that, getting that 'fixed' (texture unwrapping functionality) is not exactly what this announcement is about Wink
Laughing Just asking. I thought maybe it was fixed too by what you posted. It just has to do with the fact that textures on flat surfaces (along the ground) are put on backwards, so when you make something like steps, the texture doesn't line up.

Embarassed No offense intended.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Paarma

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES, that should make things easier. I'll be looking forward to it. Cool
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampyre: None taken! You have a good point there! Although the alignment of textures in between faces that are mapped on different planes will never be perfect with a simple planar mapping scheme, the actual alignment of the textures itself could definitely use some improvement! I'll get to it right away, and will post a new thread about it Smile

[edit]Decided not to start a new thread, see post below this one[/edit]

Last edited by Paul-Jan on Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paul-Jan
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Vampyre for reminding us of the mirrored texturing, I slightly improved the algorithm so that the textures are never mirrored (see the screenshot below... which is actually a little too small so you'll have to take my word for it Wink):

I (arbitrarily) made the texturing direction now stay the same when you rotate the object around the x axis, on rotation around the other axes there are discontinuities in the direction (which, unless I am more mathematically challenged than I'd like to think I am, is not solvable) Very Happy
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DeleD Community Edition Forum Index -> News / Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: